Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 September 2019

Marm equinox update: cougars, coyotes, climate demos, bear caves, bare-faced politiks

(from an email to a UK friend)




Apologies for not sending you a personal email in far too long. I'm pleased the occasional forward or cc has kept you somewhat up-to-date on my activities, which really aren't that many these days. I guess it's normal, tho, to experience a certain amount of ennui or weltschmartz (sp?) in our 70s. I generally feel like 'I've been there, done that' much of the time re involvement with poetry or politikal activities, altho I'm excited that the Extinction Rebellion and Greta's students are taking to the streets around the world this week regarding the climate catastrophe!

UK politiks have looked completely crazy for some time now to those of us across the pond  ;  )-  No one I know here even cares or bothers to discuss the craziness of Brexit these days, and now we're in the middle of our own 4 year federal election campaigning, so we've got enough craziness of our own to deal with. S and I always knew our PM was a narcissistic flake, but even we didn't realize what a complete fool he is. This new blackface/brownface scandal puts paid to his pretensions of being Mr. Progressive. Of course he's revealed the true nature of his 1% spoiled background in other ways as well, esp. with his governments lack of action (but lots of talk) on our First Nations emergencies (e.g.  ongoing boiled water on many FN territories - many decades ago when I was in the Canadian Liberation Movement - CLM - we ran newspaper features exposing the mercury poisoning on the Grassy Narrows First Nations - still unresolved   to this day  :  (   

Re Eel Pie Island Dharmoolie movie script and the Twickenham playwrights, I haven't heard from them since late March. I don't know if they've lost interest, lost momentum, gone rogue or what. Too bad. I played fair with them, but now they don't even respond to my emails. If ever there was a time for an Eel Pie movie, 2019 was the year. Just imagine the soundtrack - the visual content would almost be irrelevant!

Living on the edge of the Canadian Shield, I guess we take wildlife sightings for granted. Not only do we have your UK butterfly and dragonfly sightings, but dog walking friends recently spotted a cougar (panther) passing within 50 yards or so of where they were sitting in our little senior parkette by the river!!! Also coyotes wander about at night on a regular basis in this same park. Last night I did a longer than usual walk, and fortunately my flashlight spotted a large porcupine before I ambled into him! They are bold as brass, as they know no other animals will intentionally tangle with them. He snuffled along with me for about 75 yards before disappearing into the bush.  

Speaking of interacting with local wildlife, a friend was supposed to pick me up this morning to explore the bear caves in nearby Callaghan's Rapids Conservation Area. He had to postpone the adventure until this afternoon due to a surprise visit from his sister. If you never hear from me again, I guess we found the caves, but also found their hungry inhabitants!

peace,
Chris

No comments: