Total Pageviews

Sunday 1 September 2019

excerpts: Rolling Thunder Review, Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman/bullies/

Readership of riffs and ripps dipped last month to  around 750, so thought I'd better post some newer stuff. Following are excerpts I've saved from emails on a variety of topics.


 Elton, Freddy and Bob flicks
       
We watched Rocketman last night - finally got a clear copy with great sound. Funky movie, but very sad. Same thing in a way with the Queen pic Bohemian Rhapsody. I was never a fan of Elton or Freddy, but in their way they both did a lot for gay rights. At the time I thought of them as just poppy apolitical time wasters, but sometimes 'progressive' politiks takes many forms I guess  :  )-  

You may have enjoyed the Elton John movie more than I did, esp. as you weren't familiar with his songs. The movie confused me a bit, as the movie's chronology didn't seem to parallel the dates the songs were released. Artistic license and all that, I know - a brilliant job, actually, reinterpreting and cleverly incorporating the hit songs in the movie.

Upon further reflections on Bob's Rolling Thunder Review, I again feel a bit sad. Bob's time as a voice of a generation - once a true poet in the early 60s who claimed he didn't fully realize what he was presenting - is in its way just a sad mid-career move by a guy who still wanted a bit of the limelight, but who had long lost any politikal or even major artistic cred.  Funny how time and history can change our perspectives on music and its relevance.

bullies 

I sent the following email in response to a CBC radio discussion on bullying on Aug. 29.


Hi Wei (Chen),

I love the image of a little Wei sticking out her tongue at the racist girl in grade 2 or 3 (not sure I heard the right grade level). Then YOU got punished for being rude, so of course the bully continued until you fought back physically. As you said, that attitude has stood you well throughout your life. Now you're a host on our national  radio - I wonder what the bully is doing with her life? I also wonder about the lives of the gutless teacher and administrators who punished you

The professional conflict resolver just spoke a lot of nonsense  :  )  When someone is bullied, especially physically, the only effective response is to fight back - EFFECTIVELY!

My parents moved our family on average at least once a year from when I was age 4 to 8. Every  year a new school, and every year a new bully to be faced by the smallest boy. I always fought back, and the bully would often become my best friend.

Like yourself I stood out in my new schools. I was always the smallest boy, and I had a pronounced British/Canadian accent when we moved to the U.S. for grade 2. We moved twice that year, and then again for grade 3. I always had to fight physically as well as verbally. In grade 5 the male teacher, our first, was a bully who put a  challenged boy under his desk and kicked him to make him behave. This bully  teacher also engaged in staring contests with his students. I could stare him down at age10!

When we moved from Florida to Georgia for high school, another teacher bully. The phys ed teacher hated me - he probably thought I was something exotic like a Catholic and likely also a hated northerner because I wore a St. Christopher's medallion. Could stare him down too at age 13.

There are bullies of all ages and in all walks of life. It's still surprises me how quickly they fold up when their aggression is challenged and effectively countered. A few six footers have found themselves on the floor after messing with this little Canadian poet!

peace,

Chris (Faiers)

Marmora

p.s. enjoy it when you mention cottaging in the Bancroft area - spent lots of time trout fishing up there -  and love exploring Egan Chutes park 

No comments: