Our Canadian tax system has always struck me as extremely unfair. It's always appeared to me as a high level scam created by the rich 1% to maintain their wealth by robbing and weakening the other 99% of our citizens. Trudeau, Morneau, Ford etc. etc. are all trust kids born into the 1%. What our system is is a plutocracy, not a real democracy. Rule by the rich over everyone else. I received the following email today which has some real suggestions on how to start rebalancing our social, economic, cultural, and politikal systems as we emerge from the pandemic.
2 days left to participate in the 2021 Federal Budget!
There are just a couple of days left to fill out the federal government’s pre-budget consultation questionnaire. This year’s budget will probably be one of the most significant ones in recent history, as the government plans to spend about $100 billion in its COVID-19 economic recovery plan. We urge you to fill it out, as it’s a democratic opportunity for all of us to share our ideas about what we want taxpayers’ money to be invested in. Deadline is February 19.
The questionnaire doesn’t ask specific questions about the wealth tax, but you can include it in the comments. Our submission, for example, will urge the government to include tax reforms with three key measures from our #TaxtheRich campaign:
Implement a wealth tax on the ultra rich
Close tax loopholes used to hoard wealth
Implement a tax on excess profits made during the pandemic
Young Canadians, women, racialized and Indigenous people are currently bearing the brunt of the health and economic crisis, and we must ensure that they are not left behind in the recovery process.
Join the movement to #TaxtheRich and
help forge a future for the many, not just a few.
Take action, build momentum.
Hungry to do more? Here are three things you can do in less than 10 minutes that can help build the call to tax the rich:
Sign the Canadians for Tax Fairness’ letter urging Chrystia Freeland to include progressive tax measures in this year’s budget and build back an economy for all: https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/action/we-need-tax-fairness-budget-build-back-better
Ask your friends, family and organizations you think may want to get involved to add their name to the movement here: letstaxtherich.ca
Share the campaign letstaxtherich.ca on your social media channels
In other wealth tax related news:
-UK considering a one-off 1% wealth tax on wealth over $700,000 for individuals, and $1.4 million for couples
-How an excess profits tax helped post World War II recovery, and how it can help a COVID-19 recovery
-New study from the London School of Economics says 50 years of tax cuts only helped the rich
Share this and build a movement:
1.Canada’s top 1% currently holds more than 25% of the country’s wealth. How is this fair? We need to #TaxtheRich to recover from the pandemic.
2.I am one of 76% of Canadians that supports a #WealthTax.
3.We need to #TaxtheRich now so we can invest back into our economy & communities.
Together, let’s forge a future for the many, not just the few. We’ll keep you updated.
Tax the Rich Campaign Team
Broadbent Institute · 220 Laurier Ave W, 510, Ottawa, ON K1P 5Z9, Canada
You can also keep up with Broadbent Institute on Twitter or Facebook.