Total Pageviews

Saturday 3 June 2023

snapping turtle/first anniv. cancer op/water snakes/fields of columbines/shaman shack pic

from an email to UK friend Weed

 
June 1 was the anniversary of when I was admitted to Campbellford Hospital last year and June 4 is the anniversary for when I had a foot of my colon removed with a tumour. It's still hard for me to process the reprieve which has given me a "bonus round" of renewed life and energy! I'm in the middle of getting blood tests analyzed and on Monday I go for the anniv. Catscan at Campbellford Hospital. So far I feel great and apart from using some caution (not a lot) with bending and lifting, I feel the best I have since before the pandemic.

Work is continuing at Callaghan's Rapids Conservation Area with the reinforcing of the huge stone barricade around the perimeter of the parking lot. I visited Callaghan's twice this week during a heat wave and waded around for a couple of hours each day. I took my pruning saw to cut some branches which were making it difficult to access the small rapids below the main ones, and in the process I discovered a huge snapping turtle hidden by the thick juniper. The efforts to keep the crazed ATVers  out of the shallow Crowe River seems to have paid off for the wildlife, as there were more water snakes sunbathing than in previous years. In one short stretch of rocky shoreline I surprised 3 snakes in about 20 feet! Most are in the 2 1/2 to 3 foot range, although I did see one or two longer ones.

The columbine is in bloom, and there are fields of its delicate red beauty when I take the time to look closely. Callaghan's has been a refuge for me since I moved to this rugged area 34 years ago.

shamen shack 

early pic of zenriver gardens shaman shack  (Warren Fraser circa 2009)

No comments: