Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 April 2024

hidden trail to Brock's Spot (via Callaghan's Rapids Conservation Area)

my first photo hike - click to enlarge pics

On a Saturday Doug and I zipped around Campbellford buying my first digital camera, a nice used Fuji listed on Marketplace for $80. On April first I made my first photo expedition to try out the camera. I parked my old Sube on a dirt road and walked along the snowmobile trail to the bridges over Crowe River. Below is the first pic I took with my new toy, a view north from the bridges. The trail I walked was on the right (east) side running very close to the river bank. 



This was only my second walk on this foot trail. It starts on CRCA land and then winds along the river. It's not posted for trespassing and appears little used.  I discovered this trail just a few weeks before this visit. I'm sure it'll become one of my favourite walks.



There is a sad memorial or shrine to the memory of Brock, "Brock's Spot". I believe Brock was a young local man who died on the small island in view behind his memorial. That's my maple walking stick leaning against the tree.





The other most interesting feature of this hike is a series of moss covered crystalline rocks and burrows. I suspect this is where local spirits live who keep company with Brock. . .






No comments: