Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 March 2024

a ridge too far (surviving cancer hike)

for an enlarged view, click on the pics

 My friend Doug lives on the edge of a huge tract of unspoiled southern Ontario bushland. He has exclusive permission from the landowner to explore the wild property at will, and Doug has become the craggy woodland’s unofficial steward.


This week two years ago Doug took me on a chilly and overcast hike to his tipi retreat. It was difficult for me to walk from the dirt road at the north end of the lake through the late winter woods to this special spot high on a rocky ridge above one of the five local beaver ponds. I knew there might be something wrong with my health, but at age 73 I thought the lack of strength was just old age. It was a difficult hike and a trial for me to walk the kilometre or so. The short hike took us abut 45 minutes to reach the tipi.




We rested on the rocks around his tipi. Way across the valley, with the series of beaver dams far below, Doug pointed to an even higher crag. He said he’d like to take me there, but as this much easier route had exhausted me, I thought I’d never reach the distant summit in this lifetime. 



Two months after this initial hike I checked into a hospital emergency. Blood tests showed my red blood count was 40, while an adult male should have a count four times higher of 160. Medical staff were amazed I’d driven myself into the hospital.

I was immediately placed on IVs and given several blood transfusions. Several days later I had a foot of my colon removed containing a grade 2 stage 2 cancerous tumour. 

Last Tuesday Doug and I hiked to the crest of the “ridge too far”! Advancements in cancer treatment are beyond amazing, We reached the ridge, the highest point in our county, with a survey marker on top to prove this, in just over an hour. We picnicked on a turkey sub and non alcohol beer at the crest. 

On our return Doug took a picture of a fallen branch which resembled an antelope skull in some mythic desert. Doug summed up our expedition with - you shouldn’t have been able to do this!







Doug is an excellent videographer who has been encouraging me to relearn photography. As something of a Luddite (technophobe) I've never used photography in the digital age, except to cut and paste from other people's pics. Over the Easter weekend Doug has helped me buy a spiffy little used Fuji camera, and to check that it works, Doug took these pics with it. Now it's my turn to learn how to use it and to start adding pics of my own to riffs & ripps. Thanks, Doug! 

No comments: