Total Pageviews

Friday 19 January 2024

1989 letter from Elizabeth Searle Lamb (Frogpond Editor, etc.)

 E.S. Lamb, Editor
Frogpond
970 Acequia Madrre
Santa Fe, NM  87501

(typed)

September 29, 89

Dear Chris Faiers:

In today's mail I received the 'permission request'
for use of one of your haiku (actually request for your
address) along with three others, forwarded from New
York City.

I enclose Toshimi Horiuchi's request*, plus some Canadian
stamps and hope if this letter reaches you that you will
respond to him/her (?)  promptly.  I have also sent your
address, hoping this one is current, to Toshimi Horiuchi.

Two other requests were for Alan Fisher and Gregory D.
Cottrell. Unfortunately I know neither of them and so
could not help. If by chance you know them . . . . .

A fourth request was regarding Jose Tablada - - and
there I could at least say that he was a Mexican poet
who died in 1945 - - and the haiku used in Mainichi Daily
News
was a translation from the Spanish original.

To other things - - I always enjoy your work when I see it - -
for instance, your Haiku Canada Sheet "Mr. Library Man."
GRIN.  

I do collect haiku books, and I am wondering about any
of yours.  Are any of those little early things available?
Even a xerox copy put together . . . . I would be glad to buy or
to trade (Casting into a Cloud; Southwest Haiku; Lines
for my Mother, dying, and 39 Blossoms
are the ones available
and of those Casting . . . .  is the most substantial). Anyway,
I would be happy to hear from you.

Enclosing also the current Information Sheet of HSA. Of
course we would always be happy to have you as a member
if you wished to join.

May this autumn season bring you joy,

Elizabeth Lamb

(handwritten note)
A friend keeps me more
than supplied with
Canadian stamps, so I'm
just putting in 'a bunch'.

(hand drawn smiley face)


*The request from Toshimi Horiuchi was permission to include my haiku:


Green garden hose

spouting

a rainbow

In his book Synesthesia in Haiku and Other Essays

copyright 1990, University of the Philippines Printery

 

No comments: