Total Pageviews

Monday 17 April 2023

Haiku Canada Archives: Nicholas Virgilio and Michael Dudley

 Hi All,

Vicki reminded me that I'm slowing down with my donations, so I thought I'd better get these two important collections in the mail asap  ;  )  

The first is the Selected Haiku of Nicholas Virgilio published in 1988 by Canadian presses Burnt Lake Press and Black Moss Press. The intro is by Canadian haijin Rod Willmot. Virgilio was one of the most influential earlier English language haijin. His classic haiku is:

Lily:
out of the water ...
out of itself


The second donation is series three through six in a limited first edition of 125 copies published by Wind Chimes Press in 1986.

There is an interesting dedication to me dated 4 October 1986 The Fallout Shelter

To Chris,

among flickering
but distant light -

with warmest wishes,
Michael


We must have done a group haiku reading that night in Toronto, although my memory is vague on the event. It was an extremely busy and "crazy" time for me with projects and dealing with my starter house in Toronto.

my memory was jogged by Michael memorializing the event by burning the bottom corner of the page in a candle flame  


the first haiku of his series "On Strike"

broken hockey stick
shaft
of a strike sign



off to the post office on this rainy spring day -

 

spring cleaning

more books

off to the archives

 (for Vicki, Heather, KJ, and Lara)


Chris/cricket

No comments: