Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 August 2021

Brush barriers stopping ATVer destruction of Callaghan's Rapids Conservation Area - I stand corrected!

Hi Anna,

I got the same report, with pics,  from Wayne, who lives right across from the rapids. He said it's crazy with ATVers on the weekends. I've only been going during weekdays, so I very much stand corrected that the ATV activity hasn't esp. been lessened by the barriers. Wayne sent me some borderline shocking pics of the weekend wackiness - bathers casually wading below the rapids with several ATVs zipping around them.

Thanks to both you and Wayne for pointing out the problem is far from solved   :  (

I just received a follow-up email from Wayne, and he said the OPP knows about the problem, but basically they  just laugh it off.

Chris

                                                               ~    ~    ~

 Hi All,
I've been going to Callaghan's every other day during the heat and humidity wave. I usually wade around for 2 or 3 hours to relax and gently exercise, soak up some sun, and casually monitor activities.
I'm pleased to report the barriers are proving very effective in keeping the ATVers out of at least the southern part of the river. The very high and fast water flow, which is unusual for this time of year, is probably also helping.

I didn't fully grasp until yesterday how important the illegal mucking trail was key to the ATVers access to the lower river, esp. when the water is high. Yesterday the high water blocked an ATV which drove up to the second rock beach where the mucking trail begins. The barrier must have put an end to their downstream journey, as that had seemed their initial intention. Perhaps the out-of-area ATVers who arrive via the Trans-Can rail bed don't know about accessing Callaghan's via Tiffen Road or other access points. Anyway in my six August visits so far I haven't seen or heard an ATV south of the blocked mucking trail! Much congrats and thanks fo Marc and Peter and anyone else adding to the barriers.  

Chris

Chris

No comments: