Total Pageviews

Wednesday 14 April 2021

getting the jab in rural Ontario

 
I got my first jab in rural Ontario on Monday, April 12. Twice I had tried to register online at the beginning of April without success. The provincial registry refused my booking with no explanation. Perhaps my system is too old or compromised with viruses, maybe there was some other reason - I'll never know. I'm able to buy the occasional item online without problems. I believe the provincial computer system should be as accessible and forgiving.

Fortunately I forgot that our village library is curbside only service, so I called to see if I could use a library computer to register. Our head librarian is extremely friendly and efficient, and she just went ahead and used her computer to book my appointment in the nearby village of Campbellford. We have a nice medical building in Marmora which isn't being used for vaccinations, so it's nonsensical why I had to drive 40 or 50 miles round trip to another county to get my jab. I thought we weren't supposed to travel during this third major clampdown.

The vaccination centre in Campbellford is in the new fire hall, which has all the ambiance of an airplane hangar. I arrived less than 10 minutes ahead of my scheduled time, and waited in the drizzle with all the other seniors. There was no information given, and when I asked the burly doorman, he said they don't have any information themselves. It felt like a cattle call of a situation, with no covid information or friendly instructions. Our huddled group of bedraggled seniors was finally allowed into an anteroom and motioned to sit on several chairs spaced 6 feet apart. A list of covid symptoms was read out while we sat mutely, drying off. After too many minutes we were finally directed down a narrow corridor, with several people scurrying past us in the other direction just inches away. The corridor led to our huge holding pen, with long lines of chairs occupied by perhaps 50 or 60 other cattle. I was pointed to sit in one line of chairs, and then another line, and finally the head chair in another long line-up. This is good, I thought, I'm at the head of a line, until I realized the two nurses and their wheeled station were working their way up from the back of the line. I didn't see any other injection stations, although there must have been several more in operation.

Eventually the nurses reached me, and briefly told me what they were about to do. They were the only efficient and friendly people I encountered during my visit. After the quick jab and advice not to drink alcohol for 24 hours, I was told to wait 15 minutes to see if there was a reaction, and then I was free to go. After my time was up I headed for the nearest marked exit, only to be told I couldn't leave by this door 15 feet from me, but that I had to walk down a centre aisle through all the other waiting jabbees.

It was not a pleasant experience. This could be forgiven if this had been the early days of vaccine access in Canada - the awkward "military" style of directing us, the lack of information, etc.. But this was many months into the mass vaccination process, and things are still a confusing, disorganized, disorienting and unfriendly kershsmozzle. I sure don't want to tell my friends who are vaguely anti-vaxxer what a snafu they'll encounter getting their shots, as they're already somewhat vaccine hesitant.    

No comments: