Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 September 2013

2 soup poems by Martin Durkin


Hi Chris,

Here are the 2 poems. Habitant was published in Hypnotic Childhood around 2002, and Good Soup appeared in 2012 on my Crazy Irishman wordress blog. I started it just under 2 years ago, and there are 700 pieces published there so far since.

The photo was done by my Grandmother when she was roughly 14 yrs of age or so. It will be used on the cover of my new book Entitled, Steeltown for Mary, Memoirs from a Dick.....

cheers

Martin Durkin



Good Soup.....

The rain plays a
piano song
light,
then steady
coffee is
poured
windows watched -
the city is
wine, bottled in the
cellar below.
the trees sway in
audience,
dying leaves-flames,
are
a
reflection on
the past

these eyes remember everything.

This apartment living
turns Algonquin into
farming fields,
the rain-radio,
pour
steadily
down on
the irish black top street -
one way stop signs,
double traffic
parked-waiting.
apartment doors
close,
children race the
hallway.
window, my reflection
turns

present form.

Habitant-bubbles-pop-pot
on stove…..
you are wrapped in blanket, i grin.

rain

plays

on





 


Habitant.....



“He’s nothing but a drunk”
he remarks about Al Purdy as a poet.
I think to myself no, rather he’s quite dead, deceased
now, if you will

And I look at this scholar in blue overalls
breathing scaly.
I think he chews his cigarettes wet
before spitting out the smoke

Then the longhaired chum beside me says
“but isn’t that when we speak our best
and say poetic things?
When we’re drunk?”

Actually it’s at noon-hour lunch
when we bitch aloud and talk too much
about people we’re jealous of
but i just sit and grin
sip on pea soup, listening to these men of men

Once again the longhaired chum breaks in
“come on Martin say something, don’t be bashful
all your life.”

So i conclude with this,
“Good soup.”
And go back to sit and grin

No comments: