Total Pageviews

Monday 21 January 2013

updates: Double Book Launch Marmora Inn Jan. 24th


Hi Everyone,
I just chatted with Rui, owner & chef of The Marmora Inn, about plans for January 24th. Rui will prepare a fixed price dinner for those wishing to dine before the events (chicken breast, soup, salad, dessert - around $22). So far there are about 7 or 8 confirmed diners, & it would be helpful for anyone else wishing to dine to contact Rui (613-472-6887) if you'd like to be added. Dinner will be from 6 - 7 pm in the elegant formal dining room. Please also contact Rui if you are interested in booking a room & staying overnight after the evening.

From about 7 - 8 pm artist Virginia Dixon will emcee the evening, and Jim Christy will read from his newest book, SWEET ASSORTED, and I'll read from EEL PIE ISLAND DHARMA. We'll probably read for about 25 minutes each, followed by discussions or questions about the books (if any).

An Open Set will be available after the readings & discussions for anyone wishing to share their work.

Local guitarist & singer Morley Ellis will perform a variety of songs to continue the entertainment, followed by Toronto musician Kent Bowman. (Virginia, I've copied Kent's bio for your information, as I know you're already familiar with Jim, Morley & my work & backgrounds.)

Mick Burrs will also be visiting from Toronto with Kent, and as an aside, Kent, Mick, Jim & I all had poems in the recent anthology CROSSING LINES: POETS WHO CAME TO CANADA IN THE VIETNAM WAR ERA.

This promises to be a relaxed & entertaining evening, & a welcome break from the cold spell we have now entered.

see everyone in a few day,
peace & poetry power!
Chris ... and Chase wrffffffffffffffffffff!


p.s. this will be quite the literary & artistic confab, as COUNTRY ROADS publishers Nancy & John Hopkins plan to attend, as well as local poet Gail Taylor, award-winning playwright Richard Turtle, & other area artists


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


BIOGRAPHY - KENT BOWMAN

For most of my life, I have been involved with music and song writing.
My father was a professional trombonist who played on Bob Hope's radio
program, in Artie Shaw's Orchestra, and with other prominent swing era
bands. He also performed studio work in L.A. and N.Y. During a very
brief period, my first instrument was piano followed by trombone,
upright bass, and guitar. I studied voice for one year at San
Francisco State College. After 5 years in Vancouver, I travelled to
Toronto in 1970 as half of a folk duo called The Dusty Road Singers.
Ted Plantos, a prominent Toronto poet, encouraged me to begin writing
poetry. I became
one of the original House Poets and read at The Gerrard Street Library
House and at The Bohemian Embassy. Besides appearing in The House
Poets' anthology, I was published in several chap books and in a
collection entitled "Glasseaters' Banquet."

Since the 1970s, I played trombone and guitar in a variety of groups
including Edge of Dixie, Music Lovers, York Jazz Ensemble, Upper
Canada Brass Quintet, and in various duos and as a single performer),
continued to compose and arrange lyrics and music, and create poetry.
In 2010, Hidden Brook Press published my first major poetry book
entitled, "On the Other Side of Paradise." Future goals include
completing a book of epigrams with matching faces (by Mick Burrs),
submitting poetry to magazines and anthologies, writing a second
volume of poetry, composing, arranging and recording songs and
instrumental music, and completing a family history for my children
with a biography of my father's musical career.

No comments: