Total Pageviews

Sunday 14 October 2012

Poems for Malala: Katherine Gordon and Honey Novick


          Into The Light

Malala, Malala, your lullaby name
comforts earth’s children
who cringe at the shame
of tearing out flowers, bloodying beauty,
ravaging courage with gun-shots of pain.
Tyrants fear Truth that wears power down
like the wind and the rain on dark mountains,
patiently surviving grim ages
to shine in the faces of girls
who know what reverence will bring:
less anger, less war, more sharing, more plenty
the powerful gift of love -
Education for mothers to lift up children
help men through the burdens
of problems to come.
Malala is the beacon that shepherds
each struggling gender
into the light.

Katherine L. Gordon
© October, 2012.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



WOMEN LIVE WITH DIGNITY AND COURAGE   


   Honey Novick

 

Dignity and courage that’s my middle name
It’s called living with honour
I’ll treat you with respect and ask you do the same

I am not an object to be bought or sold.
Thinking I’m a possession, obsession,
is a lie that is tired and old

Some people want to kill me because I won’t conform
but my standing up and speaking out
is the start of my brand new norm

Some people seem to think women are under siege
but that is just not so
the roar of my voice will get louder, louder
listen to it grow and grow

When I fall, we will stand up
Our struggle has no shame
I won’t let my fears be stronger than my faith
I am reclaiming my own name

I am like a candle, burning warm and bright
When I light the way for you
we both walk in the light.

A girl expressing herself
a women’s right to dignity
these are normal, natural, honourable ways to
living life with integrity

Dignity and courage that’s my middle name
It’s called living with honour
I’ll treat you with respect
and insist you do the same

www.honeynovick.com

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


Conrad DiDiodato has left a new comment on your post "Poems for Malala: Katherine Gordon and Honey Novic...":

Awesome poems, Honey and Katherine!

Posted by Conrad DiDiodato to Riffs & Ripples from ZenRiver Gardens at 14 October 2012 08:35

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

Hi Chris,
     Thanks for copying me.   Please forward to Honey Novick   my heartfelt wishes for a Shana Tova,   and of course  a Zei Gezunt.   I have enjoyed watching her videos on YouTube.  If my memory serves me correctly, I saw her at the Centaur evening for Irving Layton several years ago..
     Peace and poetry power.
     Shalom ve'koakh shel shira.
     Yer Pal,
      Marvin.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 

1 comment:

Conrad DiDiodato said...

Awesome poems, Honey and Katherine! Please send your submissions to "Submittable" site for the Malala Anthology at

https://futurecycle.submittable.com/submit/16664