Total Pageviews

Friday 12 July 2013

Acorn Tribute at Q Space/Grossman's Tavern Redux/Robert Priest poem



Image


Hi James,
I've been meaning to thank you for the GREAT People's Poetry tribute/launch for Milt at Q Space last Thursday. It was a real Love-In for Milt, for PP, & for everyone reading & attentively listening. Your intro & then the audience's warm welcoming was the most heartfelt greeting I've ever received as I stepped up to the podium to read!  I looked out at
the rows of smiling faces as I began to read, & could feel the love for the first time ever at a reading. I've experienced receptive audiences before of course, but that was a very special evening. Milt was definitely there in spirit. New poets like Patrick Connors got welcomed into the PP fold, & old hands were acknowledged for all we've done over the years - for so many other poets.

Afterwards Terry, Patrick, Peter Rowe, David Day & I wandered back to Spadina Ave. & again hovered on the corner of College - across from the old CLM office building. Then we marched down Spadina to Grossman's Tavern. There was an outside patio, where we planned to have a(nother) celebratory beer in Milt's honour, but when we went inside to order, a blues band was cooking, so we sat in the small alcove by the Spadina window & toasted Milt, the blues, People's Poetry - hope we remembered you! etc. .

As we were finding our table, Patrick executed a small shuffle. After several pints, & after Terry & Peter had left, Patrick's Irish roots let the beer speak thru his feet - Hendrix's
"Little Wing" (think it was 'Little Wing' - 'she walks thru the clouds ...') had Patrick on the dance floor for the rest of the set. Man, the dude is a dancing fool!!!  He did the Snoopy shuffle, I'm not a dancer, not sure WTF he was doing, but he was sure havIng fun!!!!  And it was sure fun to watch, & his antics inspired the band to new heights. The band even gave him a call-out when they finished their set - 'thanks to the dancers!' - & as Patrick was the only dancer left after a cute, sleazy little blonde & her many male partners were overwhelmed by the dancing fool poet, well, that was a great end to the nite! Milt woulda loved it. Old comrades the Yurchuk bros, Bob Chandler, Peter Flosznik at al also ... 






 

I stumbled down the steep back stairs to the men's room - bringing back memories of the first visit with Dino, the Italian guy who rescued me from the TO bus station when I arrived in '72 & he showed me around, ... the floor of the men's can was half an inch deep in piss back then - now it's semi-renovated - no piss - even unbroken mirrors now & sinks which work!!! When I made it back upstairs to say goodnite to Patrick, he had Shuffle Demoned off among the early morning Spadeena Avenue drunks & stoners.

peace & poetry power!
Chris ... & Chase Wrffffffffffffffff! (man, I wish I'd been there!!!!!)

p.s. somehow Terry managed to shout over the band that the evening was the completion of a full circle - it was at Grossman's that we held the pre-launch of Milt's (& yours) IN A SPRINGTIME INSTANT

pps shit, think I'll post this on my blog - what a great nite!
maybe I'm still coming off the high ...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

 Robert Priest poem on Milt & The Free Speech Movement with Joe Rosenblatt


 Acorn in Allen Gardens


There should be some kind of oak
And great oak boughs above
The place where Acorn broke the law
When he shouted I shout love
In Allen Gardens week after week
Where Acorn spoke
there should be some kind of oak

There by the bust of Robbie Burns
Where Acorn roared
Through reeking streams of cigar smoke
that tree should be deep-rooted, firm
enough to hold this place of poetry
and mark the time and the law he broke
by speaking in a public park
to all the crowds of Sunday folk
who came to Allen Gardens
week after week
to hear him speak

There should be some kind of oak
And great oak boughs above
The place where Acorn disobeyed
When he shouted I shout love
   rp





will be published in Previously Feared Darkness, ECW Press, Sept. 2013

               .................................................................

Thanks, Robert  :  )
Excellent poem! At Q Space Honey Novick spoke about Milt & the free speech movement he led with Joe Rosenblatt. I read Milt's tribute to Norman Bethune, "Bethuniverse". Most of the other poets were seemingly more interested in the lyrical/nature side of Milt's poetry, which is fair I guess, as a goal of IN A SPRINGTIME INSTANT is to display the breadth of Milt's poetry. But I wish more poets at the tribute had focused on Milt's politikal poetry. So it's nice to receive a poem about the earlier days of Milt & Joe & the notorious free speech movement!

I'm forwarding this to the other editors, esp. Anna Yin, as she is the archivist for the pieces (I know you hate the word 'submissions', as do I) for Milt's tribute book.

Hey, OK if I put your poem on my blog?

Many thanks to my fellow Acorn medallist ...
peace & poetry power!
Chris ... & Chase wffff (we're baffed after spending the aft at ZenRiver mowing, drinking beer, & reminiscing in the hot sun after prepping for LivesayFest)


            ..................................................................

thanks for this great story.
what a hoot at Grossman's Tavern !
Milt would have been in his glory ... lol
- Peter Rowe

             ..............................................................


On 2013-07-13, at 10:12 AM, Patrick Connors wrote:

As long as I wasn't being too obnoxious, then it's OK   : )

Pat Connors


              .............................................................

Hi Patrick,
You weren' obnoxious at all - you were a blast at Grossman's! - an inspired poet celebrating the joys of life, great music, great poetry. Milt was probably dancing with you  ;  )
think I smelled his cigar smoke a few times while you were dancing  ...
peace & poetry power!
Chris ... & Chase Wrfffffffffffffffffff!

             .........................................................
    



  

No comments: