Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 July 2013

counting coup in CanPo/what constitutes self-publishing?








On 2013-07-09, at 9:30 AM:

Chris, could you send me a recent bibliography of books? Maybe the last four? I will need publishers and dates. Nothing self-published.Need it for the CC report. Thanks! -UP


Hi UP,
Here's a list of my publishing credits. It's a bit out-of-date, because I've grown even more lax in old age with keeping a record of these things. I've always thought of litbios as 'counting coup', something necessary to please academics & orgs like the CC, but somehow a bit pretentious & even adolescent in its self-promotional bragging.
But then again I am extremely proud of all my publications   :  )

I'll note with an * the most prestigious books (i.e. not associated with self-publishing), altho this issue itself is moot, as I was the publisher of an historically important small press - Unfinished Monument Press - which (self)published first collections by Robert Priest, James Deahl, Bruce Hunter, Lynn Kositsky  etc. etc. among a host of now-acclaimed Canadian poets & academics. UMP also published collections by GG winning poets such as Milton Acorn & Raymond Souster.

So this begs the question, is it self-publishing if you establish a (semi)respectable litpress, & then continue to publish yourself??? 

Thanks again for sponsoring me at Cat Sass Cafe! It was an enjoyable evening, one of the best readings I've experienced. Morley attended the music jam there last Friday nite & thoroughly enjoyed it.

peace & poetry power!
Chris ... & Chase Wrffffffffffffffffffff!

p.s. the tribute evening to Milton Acorn last Thursday at Q Space in TO was a true love-in - for all attending & reading & to Milt's spirit






~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Andreas Gripp has left a new comment on your post "counting coup in CanPo/what constitutes self-publi...":

love your response, Chris. Art Council pretension never disappoints. And as a side: if you self-publish a poem, it's not considered published in their eyes. But if you try to enter the same self-published poem in one of their sponsored contests for unpublished poems, they say it's already been published so it can't be entered. makes perfect sense.



Posted by Andreas Gripp to Riffs & Ripples from ZenRiver Gardens at 11 July 2013 05:51


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Hi Chris and Raven K,

Chris - I do hope you had a good time drinking beers for you and yours (a.k.a. Raven K and Wilbur (Willy) Walnut :)

Jim - Melanie and I look forward to hearing the telling of the story about how W.W. lost his eye at the Silver Dollar during a stripper's table dance. :D

Chris - Sorry I missed you on Thursday at the pre-tribute toast with Milt at the Silver Dollar.   I need to see this plaque on the outside wall of the Waverley Hotel up close.  Chris you inspired me to type the following:

I,
like
the thousands of people,
several times
in the past
few months,
passed by
the Silver D.
on the Spadina car,
going or leaving
somewhere.

 . . . and I am
reminded
of
how I too
once
stayed
at the Silver D.
oh yes,
sadly,
this is
all about
me.

A night
I
will
never
forget.
      

I wish I could have joined Milt & you that evening.

performance, peace & poetry power!

Performatively,
simon

Simon C. De Abreu M.A., B.Ed
Program Teacher

1 comment:

Andreas Gripp said...

love your response, Chris. Art Council pretension never disappoints. And as a side: if you self-publish a poem, it's not considered published in their eyes. But if you try to enter the same self-published poem in one of their sponsored contests for unpublished poems, they say it's already been published so it can't be entered. makes perfect sense.