Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 February 2023

4 rare haiku chapbooks to Haiku Canada Archives

email with package to Haiku Canada Archives at University of Victoria

 
I've taken a short break from sorting correspondence, so today I'm mailing some 'rare' old haiku chapbook collections. I'm impressed with how many of these items are already in the Haiku Canada Archives. I was ready to send 3 other chapbooks, but now I'll save some postage  ;  )  The 3 which have already found a good home with Haiku Canada Archives are:

Herb Barrett's "A Shadow in the Wind""
Paul O. Williams' "Tracks on the River"
Margaret Saunders' "Snapdragons"


The homeless ones about to arrive are:

"Haiku" by Claire Pratt:  it's a reprint of the original 1965 edition published by The Haiku Society of Canada (now Haiku Canada)
I had no memory of this, but there's a sticker  on the inside front cover noting "Cicada 1981 Haiku Contest Gift Prize: Chris Faiers")   Whoopee!!!  

"Uketorinin: haiku" by Wayne Ray
1987, Hamilton Haiku Press

"Poolhall" by Beth Jankola
1984, HMS Press
inside front cover inscription " '84 Seasons Greetings, Chris, from Beth"
HMS Press was Wayne Ray's press

"The Shape of the Tree" by L. A. Davidson
1982, Wind Chimes Press, Glen Burnie, Maryland U.S.A.

Yesterday I took a box of 50 -60+ poetry chapbooks (haiku unrelated) to the local used bookstore, The Bookworm, in nearby Madoc. The shop operates as a fundraiser for the Madoc Public Library. I hope these orphans find good homes as well.    

No comments: