Total Pageviews

Friday 13 January 2023

Hamilton poet extraordinaire Herb Barrett

 to Haiku Canada Archives:

Today I mailed my correspondence file for Herb Barrett. There are 30+ reciprocal letters, as well as some ephemera like post cards and reading announcements. Most of the letters are circa 1985 to the early 1990s.

Herb was a significant mentor to me. He gave me one of my first public readings in his city of Hamilton. Herb was a mainstay on the Hamilton poetry scene for decades, both for haiku and traditional poetry forms, and he was also a recognized visual artist. In skimming through a couple of his letters I felt a twinge of guilt that I hadn't kept up the correspondence longer, or kept in touch with him. I've held onto one letter, which I plan to copy type to post on my blog. This letter shows the ongoing encouragement Herb gave to me as a much younger poet and writer, and almost unusual for Herb, he also details some of his own recent literary and artistic successes. 



letter October 6/91 from Herb Barrett on Hamilton Haiku Press letterhead:

Hi Chris!

Here is a copy of the latest TIDEPOOL, hope you will enjoy it.

How are things with you? What's the latest on EEL PIE DHARMA? Any nibbles from the Big Presses? That collection is much too good to just be gathering moss.

This past season has been an exceptional busy, and I might add, profitable one for me.

I had some art on exhibit at the Dundas School of Art (their annual auction), and Voila! I sold a painting. Then another exhibit at Hamilton Artists Inc Members Show, and would you believe - sold another. Earlier in the year I sent in a poem and one haiku to the Tallahassee Writers Association Penumbra Contest - and this is a real grabber - won both top prizes in both categories. I could hardly believe my eyes - what with a nice cheque and a most flattering letter from Dr. Larrry Gross, the head honcho. A year like this may never happen again, but 1991 was pure fun.

I bought myself a BROTHER electronic-correctronic typewriter with all kinds of different keys, some of which I'm still a bit unfamiliar with - but for someone like myself, a throwback to the hungry thirties, I'm gradually catching on. Ah, the marvels of Brave New World!

Drop me a few lines whenever, and keep me up to date.


Always with affection for my favorite poet.

Sincerely,
Herb
(signed with a flourish)

 

Seller image for TIDEPOOL 2 - An Anthology of Haiku Poetry for sale by W. Fraser Sandercombe

No comments: