Total Pageviews

Monday 4 August 2014

Sumac stories: Alastair Larwill


Here is the poem I wrote for Another Dam Poetry reading, inspired by the land and the work you do for the benefit of Canada and myself. 



Under the sumac trees
in full bloom
pathways cut into a maze

 

Apple trees feed the chipmunk,
feed the snake, feed the turtle,
feed our curiosity

 

Fuels our conversation
like the bubbling Zen River
circles back and flows forth

 

Non linear thoughts follow
circular spiral stories
together we flashback

 

Join minds while glasses
empty and refill
lost in our company

 

We are the stories of a maze
in full bloom
Just beyond the sumac trees


 

by Alastair Larwill



Hi Chris,

I wanted to thank you again for hosting the symposium as well as our tents at ZRG. It was another magical long weekend, where I almost froze to death because I never bring a sleeping bag and the moisture of the river descends like a glacier, penetrating the junky cotton blankets I bring... I should know better by now.

Anyway, the land and the treatment are a constant inspiration. As well as the warm company of the fixtures of the festival, Dan the fireman (captain now), Warren the gate keeper, and Morley the musician, and who can forget John the Fin. And so many more... I always look forward to the wisdom I can siphon off your mad bat antics. Great times, for sure.

I hope you do try and take advantage of the free insulation program that my company can offer through Union Gas, if it turns out we don't do your territory the friendly folks who work the phones will send you along to the company that does. We can also refer you to GreenSaver who gives out the free light bulbs through HydroOne.

My companies website is www.envirocentre.ca and our toll free line is 1-877-580-2582 ext. 1. Totally free and you can even mention that I checked out your basement and said it would be a good bet. Have a little chat with them and if we do service your area then I would encourage you to share the word. The worst thing about the free programs is the lack of uptake because the skepticism people have about it.

Anyway, I am yammering on, often the case when I write and there is no one wiser around to listen to.

I just want you to know that what you are doing is important and although it feels like moving mountains for a drop in the pond, there is a ripple effect. And hell it's more fun to shake the tree then it is to yell at it, and you are also more likely to get some fruits that way too.

No comments: