Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Of ZenRiver Gardens: Stan White

Of  Zen River Gardens


on the occasion of PurdyFest 2008


Ah, my green Deloro Valley
haunts of Lowery and Malone
where is your gold now
lost among this Sunday's
silvery tongues that sound
the mime of long forsaken mines
in failure of a century of dreams
to richer riches

Along this serpentine of track
couched in eiderdowns of green,
I am touched mystery
by the charm of aureate,
one glimpse of fortune
in a vein of quartz
that moved a thousand men
and more, to lottery

Yet, it is not wealth in yellow
that moves the common man,
moves me to where I teeter
on the cusp of prospect and suspense
but some strange sense of otherwise
some mystic purpose veiled
in kismet, hap, adventure that refutes
that all that's golden is
                                 the gold of fools 


by Stan White


                         ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On 2014-07-23, at 11:39 AM, Stan White wrote:

Honored that you should have used the poem, Chris. Have a great Purdyfest. As has been said before, I’m getting too old to sleep anywhere but in my own bed.

My wife is not well (too many years) so I’m somewhat limited anyway.

Good to hear you are well…my regards to Chase…a most dear dog…he must be getting old too.

Stan.

                                   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks, Stan  ;  )
I appreciate your poem more & more as time marches on. I liked it enough initially to use it as part of the intro to my ZenRiver: Poems & Haibun collection with Hidden Brook Press a few years back, but now I like it even more! I also often reflect on your other ZenRiver/Malone poems when I'm back there mowing or sitting in 'beerzen' on the shaman shack deck  ;  )

Yes, we're all getting on in years, & as I've heard said, 'old age ain't for wimps!"   Sorry to hear your wife isn't well, & I appreciate that you made it to one of the first PurdyFests & contributed substantially to its legacy.

Chase is at least 16, maybe 17 now, which is well over the century mark in dog/human years. He started limping on the trails this winter, & I'd hoped it was just ice in his paws, but it's obviously arthritis & the signs of his final year(s).

peace & poetry power!
Chris ... & Chase Wrffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!   (back from a nice walk along the Crowe River - Chase enjoyed a long wade among glorious fields of water lilies in full bloom)

my old dog
wading in fields
of water lily blooms


                              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

picture of the stupa created by Jim Christy at ZenRiver Gardens


No comments: