Total Pageviews

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Milton - poem by Jim Larwill (post "AcornFest")



Hi Chris... another great fest... sorry I didn't stick around to visit longer... maybe I needed to get back here to write this one?

You can post it if you want.

RK

"I'll seep down into earth, rise and become that bird"  Acorn




Milton


My influences are not pushing me
we are on the same timeless train;
I am in the toy car ahead of them.

This circular track moves forward
Laughter is the sound of its wheels:
Motionless the engine pulls a dream.

In center of it all there is a child
trapped by a world of imagination.
Outside this window a dog barks.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~

(email from David Day/Aug. 7/12)

Hi Chris

I'm really sorry I didn't make it, but I couldn't catch a ride with anybody on Saturday, and I needed to get back to TO late that evening. I found that I could get a bus up on Saturday morning, but the only return bus was at 3:00 in the afternoon - so, I would miss everything after about 2:30 in the afternoon - which would have been a bit ludicrous.

Anyway, glad to hear it was a successful Acornfest. I have been reading 'In a Springtime Instant' over the last few weeks. I knew a few of Milton's more famous poems, and did have a few encounters with him, but these were in his declining years when he was not in good form; so I must shamefully admit until I read 'Springtime' I hadn't really looked deeply into his work, and hadn't appreciated what a large and solid body of work Milton had behind him. James did a brilliant job of editing this book, and Terry's talk at the Burns monument really gave me an important historical context for him - and the significance of the Free Speech Movement.

How many poets in this country have ever been directly responsible for the changing of a law - especially one that was so obviously in direct contravention of human rights!  Hopefully, this book and events around it like Acornfest will bring a new appreciation and consciousness of Milton's place in Canadian Literature.

All the best
David
  
David Day

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

(email reply from Chris/Aug. 7/12)

Hi David,
Yes, it's really far too much to expect people to wend their way up here for one day. I managed to finally convince Terry to book a cheap motel room for the duration, & we had a great time festing & generally hanging out between events. This is really the goal of PurdyFests - getting city poets out here to Purdy country to explore & enjoy the land. As Terry noted in a phone chat last nite, the range of PurdyFest is far broader than just the Marmora and ZenRiver areas.

Hopefully you'll consider doing the same for a future fest & stay longer than the Saturday. The Belle Vista Motel is extremely reasonably priced - under $50 a nite - about $53 with taxes! It's a real time warp place to stay - right out of the 1950s. It's neat & clean, even a small fridge & TV - but no pool, no hot tub ...

Thanks for relating your growing awareness of Milt's place in CanPo history - & in the broader politikal context of Canadian culture & zeitgesit. Best damn poet this country's produced, bar none!!!

see you in TO,
peace & poetry power!
Chris ... and Chase ... Wrffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! (I missed you, too)


http://riffsandripplesfromzenrivergardens.blogspot.com/

p.s. how about posting these comments on the NOW mag site - Robert would appreciate it, as would all "Acornites" - I had no problem posting using my Google account

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hi Pearl & Brian,
Great to see you & Brian at AcornFest!!!! I'm almost too hi to type right now ... how about posting your pics on the BOOK ONTARIO site as  well?

So pleased both of you were able to make it this year - getting higher by the moment   : ) - better stop typing ...

great fest!!!
Chase &  I say hi
peace & poetry power!
C&C ... wroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof! (from both of us! )



On 2012-08-09, at 1:30 PM, Pearl wrote:0




Pearl has left a new comment on your post "Milton - poem by Jim Larwill (post "AcornFest")":

Hi Chris.
Wonderful of you to host this gathering. always such a friendly vibe.

I put some pictures up. Some names have slipped my mind: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pearlpirie/sets/72157630958721634/



Posted by Pearl to Riffs & Ripples from ZenRiver Gardens at 9 August 2012 10:30

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


2 comments:

Pearl said...

Hi Chris.
Wonderful of you to host this gathering. always such a friendly vibe.

I put some pictures up. Some names have slipped my mind: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pearlpirie/sets/72157630958721634/

nobbysmk said...

I am really happy with your blog because your article is very unique and powerful for new reader.
Nice Post thanks for sharing. Thanks
Click here