Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 February 2024

Dogs, Wolves and Quirky People with Wild Hearts

 
 

Wild Dogs by Helen Humphreys

HarperCollins, 2004

I took a year long break from reading books while recovering from a colon cancer operation and then a vicious dog attack. Not reading was a new experience after a lifetime of being a bookworm/writer//poet/librarian. A newly retired friend and I binge watched over a dozen TV series, and there are some great programs out there (some memorable favourites listed below). But now I'm catching up on reading books again, and eager to share discoveries.

Wild Dogs by Helen Humphreys is my recent one. It was a quick read, too quick and I binge read it in two nights. I told a close friend, also a retired librarian and dog lover, that she would enjoy it. I desperately wanted to tell her the roughest of outlines about the book, but she stopped me cold. She was right. This is a book by a poet, and it's too interwoven, too subtle and delicate to describe or paraphrase. Of course there is also a twist or two, and it would be a shame to do much more than recommend and leave it at that! As a book by an accomplished poet it's beautifully descriptive writing, but never once did I find it self-consciously "poetic", just addictive.

Now the list of binge watched series I remember most after several months of reflecting.

The Godfather of Harlem
Tegan and Sara's High School
Twisted Metal
1923
Poker Face  

The Last of Us 

No comments: