Total Pageviews

Monday 22 January 2024

A Great Read: Olivia Chow's autobiography "My Journey"

 Front Cover


Last week I ventured into the Marmora Library for the first time in ages, thirsty for a good winter read. They didn't have any of Ian Hamilton's Ava Lee thrillers, so I lugged home Olivia Chow's 2014 autobio My Journey and Joe Fiorito's 2002 first novel,The Song Beneath the Ice. I decided to start with Olivia's book, as she's back in the news in a big way as the recently elected Mayor of our national city-state, Toronto.

I wasn't expecting much, maybe just a bit of political nostalgia from my days living in TO, from 1974 until I moved to the edge of the Kawarthas in 1989. I sure didn't expect a book I couldn't put down at night, and then held off reading the final four pages just so  I'd have an excuse to pick it up again. Yep, the book is a good read for anybody, and of course a great read for political junkies. It combines her insightful and exciting life story, including the fairy tale romance and marriage with Jack Layton, the man who should have been our Prime Minister. He almost was until cancer took its nasty toll at the last minute.

But it's many other stories - that of a Chinese immigrant from Hong Kong, born upper middle class (e.g. 'halfway up the mountain'). The family move to Canada wasn't the success her parents had imagined, and hard times followed. And it's the story of a talented artist (sculptor) who found her ultimate calling via the circultous ladder of progressive volunteerism and on into municipal politics. The book could definitely act as a step by step manual for wannabe politicos, and it's an historical tour guide of 1990s - 2000s Toronto and its cultural, political and progressive movements. There's feminism, LGBT+ rights, going back to the bath house raids my poet friend David Reed was swept up in. There are battles with the TO police union and surprisingly (to me) her creative assistance in organizing a giant rave in TO's Nathan Phillips City Square.

I recommended the book to my friend Sylvia, who lived in TO during most of Olivia and Jack's early decades of progressive organizing. She was reminded of sending her kids to Woodgreen Community Centre Daycare and when Jack Layton was her city councillor. Initially we both wondered how someone not known as a writer managed to write such an engaging and yet well organized book, and if she'd used a ghost writer. Well, Olivia followed the same template she's done all her life organizing. She put together a team who helped her organize the book and to give gentle guidance on what details to leave in, and what to omit. I wasn't surprised when I learned one of her helpers was journalist extraordinaire Victor Malarek. I remember reading his autobio, Hey Malarek!, when I first started working at the Main Street Library in east end Toronto.

Her book was published in 2014, but we know how the story continues, with Olivia Chow just elected the Mayor of Toronto (with strong powers - thanks Doug Ford). If you want to get some idea of where our national city-state is headed, My Journey will give the reader some great clues.


Harper Collins, 2014
328 pages
(great pic section as well)

                                                        ~    ~    ~

an afterthought: A brief haibun of mine was included in the artists' tribute to Jack Layton, Jack Layton: Art in Action, Penn Kemp, editor, Quattro Books, Inc.  2013. 

Wind Horses

Given how Jack championed wind power, it seems appropriate that prayer flags are called Wind Horses in Tibetan. Here is Chris Faiers's Prayer Flag Haibun for the occasion.

Regarding the vigil for Jack and hanging the prayer flags, I wanted to do something more uplifting (pun intended) than draw another chalk memorial on the concrete of Nathan Phillips. So  I bobbled around the fixtures of the skating rink, frantically trying to tie down the prayer flags in the downtown wind tunnel effect. An elderly couple stopped to encourage my efforts. They were possibly from India, and after I accomplished the hanging, they thanked me for displaying the prayer flags. They also  felt the flags were a most appropriate spiritual honour for Jack. 

city winds

carry our prayers

over Lake Ontario  

 

No comments: