Total Pageviews

Wednesday 11 July 2018

mid summer visit to the Al Purdy A-frame

Hi Martin,

Congrats on your inclusion in this funky looking antho   ; )- 

Thinking of Al, I visited the A-frame today for the first time in 3 or 4 years. The new writer-in-res is a young poet from Hamilton named Laura Clarke. Do you know her from your Steeltown days? Nice person and we had a good chat on the A-frame deck. I've been wanting to drop off 2 huge tomes of Big Al's correspondence for a few years, and finally got around to doing this pleasant errand today.

lithe young poet
lounging on Big Al's deck
in his chair
?

The A-frame looks sufficiently rejuvenated to last another lifetime or so, altho it basically looks as rustic as ever. The waterfront point that I always worked on on vol work days has been cleared of even more overhanging trees, which gives better views of the lake. Al's ratty old writer's shed has been repaired, and looks almost usable  :  ) Have you visited there recently?

I also have been on a bit of a poetic hiatus since the PurdyFests ended 3 summers ago. I feel I'm now in the custodial phase of my poetry calling, so I'm trying to get as much literary material as I can afford to deliver or mail to the appropriate archives. Hence the visit today to the A-frame.

bookshelves
a little lighter
ghostly whispers fading


Two prof. actor/playwrights have been writing a script based on my Eel Pie Island Dharma haibun/memoir, but I haven't heard from them in several months. I don't know if they've given up on the project, altho in March they said they had 82 pages of script.

Nice to hear from you. Are you back living in Stirling again? Attending the monthly readings in Tweed?

Oh, an afterthought. There's a new literary bookstore in Pboro which I visited 2 weeks ago, think it's called Hunter Street Bookshop. I heard the owner giving her book recommendations on a CBC radio programme a few weeks ago & decided to visit. Another writer - novelist - with 8 or 9 books published by age 50. I'm jealous  :  )

peace & poetry power!
Chris

No comments: