Total Pageviews

Saturday, 21 March 2015

a mammal who marks on things



On 2015-03-21, at 6:31 AM

Hi, Chris,

I wrote this bio for you for the Moon Shine collection. We received the first proof of the book, and then I remembered that I hadn't checked it out with you! Here it is and hope it is okay:

Becky

-----
Chris Faiers, a true poet’s poet, came to us as a gift resulting from the Vietnam War. He self-published Cricket Formations (1969) which was among the first Canadian haiku collections. Chris writes well-aimed poetry and haibun from Zen River.
                                                  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


Hi Becky,
Thanks for giving me a look at my bio note. I've never given bio notes more than a fleeting thought in the past, but currently I must need some distraction in my life, or perhaps I'm very bored or ... I'm turning into another overly reflective crotchety old dude. Maybe all of these ;  )

Anyway, the bio note for the MOON SHINE anthology is fine the way it is - thanks especially for your kind words "a true poet's poet" and "well-aimed poetry"!

IF there is a chance to alter the bio without a lot of hassle, I'd prefer the term "self-published" be deleted.

Yes, I've never really given bio notes much thought, like 'who are they for'? The author's ego? The publisher or editor's ego? The reader's information? Most of us in CanLit/CanPo circles already know each other, so our bios are kind of redundant. That's why I've come up with a generic bio note which applies to just about every writer of every age:

A MAMMAL WHO MARKS ON THINGS

Yup, that's what we are when you boil it down, from early cave men/women dipping our hands in ochre (or blood) & leaving our mark on the walls of our livingrooms, to patient crouching hammerers  carving spiritual insights into bedrock to enlighten and confuse future generations.


... enough, enough of your time wasted. I'm thinking of doing a blog post on this topic, digging out a selection of the bio notes used to encapsulate my writerly progress (regress?) throughout my lifetime.


thanks again for including my poems,
peace & poetry power!

Chris ... & Chase Wrfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! (time to get off the couch & start sniffing & peeing - outside!)



                                   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On 2015-03-21, at 1:26 PM
Thanks for sharing...you are very funny, also
scathingly truthful.  Let’s say bios, if SHORT, are for the reader’s information.

Seriously, since you are feeling introspective, I have been considering gathering as many Canadian voices as we can,  to write about an alternative called PEACE. We have seen the wonders of this planet’s equinox, solar eclipse, super-moon, solar flares to embrace the planet and remind us of the true powers here.  Such a needy planet and we ignore it at our peril.  Bill C 51 could land us all in jail but in such good company. We need a deal with Iran, Palestine, Russia, Cuba...we need every country on humanity’s side. This fright campaign to keep evil ideologues in power is a crusher for all the values we have struggled for. I can only add my voice to those who would struggle for peace,  give up the dooms-day alternative of war.   Any thoughts?   I would consider an anthology if you thought it helpful. Hard to just stand by and watch the Arctic melt,  people die wanting basic human care, bombs kill children who deserve to live in a better world.
 

Katherine.


 

No comments: